Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 1997 19:53:31 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        John Szumosky <harpo@javanet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doscmd compile?

John Szumosky:
 |Last night, I downloaded the doscmd sources...I can patch the kernel
 |source files and build the resulting kernel, but making lkm always
 |bombs- it can't find XXX directory or file (Don't have the laptop handy
 |to be more specific).
 |
 |Just curious as to whether anybody's gotten doscmd working.
 |
 |It would be GREAT not to have 95 around.

Worked great for me.  FreeBSD 2.2.1, doscmd-970320.tar.gz out of the
2.2.2-RELEASE/xperimnt dir.  Full ssys & slkm untarred off
/usr/src/{sys,lkm} before patch applied (slkm probably not necessary).
Updated /usr/include/machine with the changed headers in
/usr/src/sys/i386/include:

cpu.h           md_var.h        proc.h          reg.h           sysarch.h
frame.h         pcb.h           psl.h           signal.h        vm86.h

(despite the README comment, found I needed to do this).  You got the
kernel built.  For the lkm, just cded to /usr/src/lkm/vm86 (where the new
Makefile from the patch was placed) and "make" and it built:

cc -O -I. -DLKM -DVM86_MODULE  -DKERNEL -DACTUALLY_LKM_NOT_KERNEL -I/usr/src/lkm/vm86/../../sys  -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith -c /usr/src/lkm/vm86/../../sys/i386/i386/vm86.c
ld -r  -o tmp.o vm86.o
symorder -c symb.tmp tmp.o
mv tmp.o vm86_mod.o

Randall Hopper