Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 1997 16:23:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@celebris.tddhome>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trap 9 When Boot SMP

Thomas Dean writes:
 > I have been trying to get SMP running on my machine,
 > a Digital Equipment Corp. Celebris XL 5133DP.
 >
 > I get a trap 9 when I try to run an SMP kernel.  I tried -current
 > and 3.0-970618-SNAP,  with similar results.

I'm also getting this error on a Tyan ATX 1668 MB.  Strangely enough,
I got this error when I first tried the SMP snap kernel from Jan/Feb,
and went away for a week or so when SMP was integrated into -current,
and I've been unable to boot SMP since.  Steve Passe suggested that it
might be hardware, since I've also been having problems with my memory
getting parity error faults, but I sent it back to the company I
bought it from, and they replaced the memory (still getting parity
error faults, so I've got to do something about that again), and also
the motherboard because it was damaged during shipping (don't ask, it
took FedEx a month to deal with the claim).  It looks like it's dying
when sending the message saying the CPU is online, so I was thinking
of switching to the other console driver to see if it makes any
difference.  My machine runing SMP Windows/NT just fine.  I don't have
enough disk to try Linux SMP, though.