Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:14:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>, ac199@hwcn.org, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> There's also no evidence that what students learn correlates with
> the amount spent per student.

Please share whatever it is you're smoking.  School systems in most states
are paid for by local property taxes.  In wealthy suburbs property values
are higher, and owners pay a smaller percentage, yet generate more revenue
than their poor urban counterparts.  They avg  > 8k/yr/student, with the
richest being one of the Chicago suburbs with 18k/yr/student.  Inner-city
and rural scools are lucky to see 5k/yr/student.  While money is not the
only factor, it's a huge one.  The suburban schools have nice clean well
lit environments in which to learn, with broad curriculea, and many
extra-curricular activities.  Inner-city and rural schools are lucky to
have school buildings without holes in the roof and walls.  My wife is a
professional educator, who brings home this stuff, and I read it mostly to
not be reading something computer related.  The educators will tell you
that while money isn't the only factor in a student's ability to learn and
succeed, it's a large one.  Your politicians are the one's claiming that
the school's available funds don't make a difference.  You go to a school
where the textbooks are 2 years out of date, and in short supply, a
library that is mostly non-existant, understaffed, and has no purchasing
power because textbooks are a priority, a building that's over 50 years
old, in need of repair, with no available funds for that either, and
underpaid teachers (who tend to be the worst the educational system has to
offer, since the better teachers in general go to schools where they don't
have the limitations, and safety concerns these schools present, and make
more), and we'll see how well you do.  Don't ever claim money makes no
difference.  You're either lying or naive.  In the world we live in, money
always makes a difference.

Jamie Bowden

System Administrator, iTRiBE.net