Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 22:25:18 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        j_mini@efn.org
Cc:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, hfwirth@ping.at, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fun with DOSCMD (was Re: modifying boot mgrs FROM FREEBSD)

> > > 	3) Assuming that you do allow that, how does the syscons handle
> > > 	switching away from video modes that are nonstandard, or possibly what
> > > 	it thinks is  standard mode, but is not, if the dos app crashes or is
> > > 	killed?
> >
> > As long as the modes "just" use std VGA regs etc syscons has no problem
> > with that. But if you go beyond that all hell is going to break loose.
>
> Syscons has support for switching away-from/into the graphics modes? Last time
> I played with this (in VGA_320x200) syscons wouln't allow me to switch vtys.
>   This was 2.2.1-R, so maybe I'm missing new code :)

Well, switching to/from one of the graphics modes is restricted to
VT_PROCESS mode, but its just me being conservative, syscons can do
the switch, however I insist on the user taking care of getting the
application off the screen memory (or it'l happily overwrite all
the other screens), and telling the system when its ready...
Watch my little graph library soon to go into current...

> > >   Basically, your answer becomes that of Linux's svgalib : You don't. You
> > > reboot your machine. Sorry, I don't accept that.
> > >
> > >   You are asking more out of the syscons module than it can give you.
> >
> > Well, when/if we get the ability to run realmode from the kernel, we
> > can call the BIOS on the card. That way we can utilize the (hopefully)
> > onboard VESA layer. That will give what we need (and what I need for
> > syscons). Its then possible to either do a full VESA support, or
> > mimic some SVGA chipset for the basic functions.
> >
> > Give me the means to run realmode code from within the kernel, and I'll
> > teach syscons how to use it :)
>
>   Hehe. I am working on it, however, you won't get realmode, just something
> similar -- a v86 thread with the mappings of real mode. It should be close
> enough :)

As long as it lets me call a 16bit realmode subrutine in the (S)VGA BIOS
I'll be OK :)

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..