Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 05:07:22 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More info on slow "rm" times with 2.2.1+.

> Perhaps it's worthwhile to indicate exactly what I've found,
>you may be absolutely correct - there could be a flaw in my logic:
>
>Deleting a file out of ~20,000 with 2.2.1, async mount, multiuser:  3-5 seconds
>Deleting a file out of ~10,000 with 2.2.1, sync mount, multiuser: 3-5 seconds
>Deleting a file out of ~10,000 with 2.2.1, sync mount, single user: 3-5 seconds
>Deleting a file out of ~300 with 2.2.1, sync mount, multiuser: 3-5 seconds
>Deleting all of ~300 with 2.1.7, sync mount, single user: 4 seconds
>

>> Of course, my premises may be incorrect in this too.  :0
>
> It would be trivial for me to verify any slow or fast times - all
>I've got to do is make a big directory... seems that ~300 files is
>enough to run into whatever the problem may be...

   How many files are in the directory isn't important. What is important is
the size of the directory. You can have a 20MB directory and yet have only a
100 files in it. There is code to free up unused space in directories, but
it only works if the free space is at the end. If the directory is large,
then it will take a large amount of time to search through it.

-DG

David Greenman