Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:21:05 -0300
From:      "Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira" <lioux@gns.com.br>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <bsdnet@lamb.net>, "Daniel Capo Sobral" <dcs@gns.com.br>, "Jose Antonio Junio" <junior@gns.com.br>, "Rodrigo Campos" <rodrigo@gns.com.br>, "Adrian Leguizamon Dantas" <adrian@inep.gov.br>
Subject:   FreeBSD up to E1 Gateway Load Balancing

Hi Folks,

	Although, It seems to me that the FreeBSD gateway vs. Cisco trend has
quite silenced, I would like to get some insights from the "users" on the
list.
	I currently use a PM from livingston as a router of a Frac-T1 leased line.
However, constrasting to local telco price constraints, UUNet/Worldcom has
been offering a very price interesting option for bulk transfers through
satellite uplinks.
	So that, I am inclined to order a burstable E1 connection from them.
	I would like to know what was the conclusion of this thread.
	I will be using a K6 233Mhz processor with 32/64 Mb (depends) Ram and 4
Gig hd with FreeBSD 2.2-Stable solelly for the purpose of routing/packet
filtering, so what network cards do I have as an option to finish building
it?
	I will be using a Frac-T1 in one of the connections and a satellite uplink
E1 on the other card. The uplink will be delivering my packets at USA, yet
my local connection delivers them at Brazil. I would like to have load
balance, so I understand that I will need to study gated to use BGP. I
might be willing to use two gateways, one for each connection as noted on
the discussion. Neverthless, I will be using only one to comence.
	What considerations should I keep in mind? Any troublesome network cards?
Should I be using iBGP or BGP? Any special issues? Please help me. I've
been following this discussion during the last week but I did not find it
much elucidative.
	I apologize if I am being too repetitive, or if I am not using the right
terminology.

	Regards,
		Mario Ferreira.

----
System Administrator - SysAdm@gns.com.br
Consultor Tecnico - Mario.Ferreira@gns.com.br
Personal - Lioux@gns.com.br Lioux@linf.unb.br Lioux@bsdnet.org
GNS - Global Network Solutions Tec. Ltda
http://www.gns.com.br/
----