Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:06:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      nick@webignite.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bin/4333: Dump backup utility completely crashes the machine 25% of the time.

>Number:         4333
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       Dump backup utility completely crashes the machine 25% of the time.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
When using the "dump" utility to backup the filesystems,
a SCSI error appears to occur and the entire machine crashes.

This happens not every time, but about once every four or five
uses of "dump." The dump command issued as root is `dump Nusd 5000 42500 F`
where N is the dump level and F is the file system. It makes no
difference what the level of dump is, or which filesystem is being backed up.

I have had no other problems with the SCSI devices (two hard disk drives).

The SCSI tape drive is a Seagate DDS-2, model CTD8000H-S
The machine is a Dell Poweredge Pentium Pro 200 w/. 96Mb RAM

The error message when the machine crashes is as follows:

st0(ahc 0:6:0):SCB0x3 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1,SCSISIGI == 0x0
SEQ ADDR == 0x5
st0(ahc 0:6:0): Queueing an Abort SCB
st0(ahc 0:6:0): SCB0x3 - timed out while idle, LAST PHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
SEQ ADDR == 0x5
st0(ahc 0:6:0): no longer in timeout
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 2 SCBs aborted

and then the machine has to be physically powered down and up again.
>How-To-Repeat:
Hmm, just keep running dump every day and within a week at the outside, it'll happen.