Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 20:13:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        screwinup@aol.com (Screwinup)
Cc:        saar-lists-freebsd-hackers@uunet.uu.net
Subject:   Re: Anarchists decry 72lbs plutonium launch

>      On Oct. 6, NASA will launch a space probe containing 72 lbs. of
> plutonium. This is the 24th launch containing plutonium. Three have failed
> and two have burned up leaving 1 to 3 lbs of plutonium dust in the
> atmosphere. That will cause untold people to get lung cancer years hence,
> but may already be causing decreased immunity we perceive as "new
> diseases" or old ones coming back.

Ah, uunet, how we've missed ya'...

Plutonium is a metabolic poison; it interferes between stage 2
and stage 3 of the Krebbs cycle.  If you were going to be dead from
it you would be dead already.  Take an elementry biology course.

Also, unless you have built a cyclotron or high energy linear
accelerator, 68lbs of Plutonium doesn't "burn up" to become
something other than Plutonium.  Take an elementry physics course.
If it started with 72lbs of Plutonium, then it ended with 72lbs of
Plutonium.

Finally, the waste materials from a coal or petroleum fired power
plant don't break down, period, unless acted upon by a highly
energetic process.  One taking more energy than was originally
produced (it's called "entropy", kids); take an elementry chemistry
course.  Nuclear waste is only toxic for 50,000 years (or less),
a far cry shorter than forever.

> on Ocl. 4th. How can we save ourselves and our children from what may be a
> cruel way to "reduce population"?

Educate them so they have a basic working knowledge of the universe,
for starters.  Sheesh.

PS: any takers on a guess as to whether or not 72lbs is over critical
mass for Plutonium?

PPS: Break-even in hot fusion was achieved in 1981 at the Tokomak
at Berkeley.

PPPS: It's people like you what cause unrest.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.