Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 1997 12:04:03 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Campbell <brianc@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2-stable swap usage?

> On Thu, Sep 04, 1997 at 01:16:01AM +0000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > AccelX supposedly has memory leaks
> > try restarting the X server if you can...

The current (3.1) AX seems pretty stable; it gets a real beating on our
radar systems and we're *very* touchy about memory leaks.

> > On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Brian Campbell wrote:
> > > Is it normal for 24M of swap to be marked in-use when nothing appears to be using it?
> > > System has 64M RAM, and has been up and running AccelX for about a week.
> > > Killing syslogd and cron didn't help.  There wasn't much left ...
>
> I guess I didn't mention that.  I did restart the server a few
> times.  And the ps output and pstat output shown were at a time
> after the Xserver (and pretty much everything else) had exited.

You are asking a Really Basic Unix FAQ; this one comes up every few
weeks.

The simple answer is that once swap is allocated to a process, it is
never freed.  You have, in the case above, 24M worth of text which at
some stage has been swapped out, and thus has had swap allocated to it.
It doesn't mean you have 24M worth of swap currently "in use".

Be Happy.

mike