Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 13:54:09 +0000
From:      bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Khelbin Sunvold <khelbin@ntplx.net>
Subject:   Re: BSD newbie installer...almost ready

Thanks for the Khelbin,
It is useful.
In fact the specs are...
pentium 120 with a unix partition of around 450 Mb
It has a 1.1 Gb IDE + CD 8*(mitsumi) IDE. 2 serial ports and a Kingston 16 bit (NDis2) net card.
2 FDloppy drives and a SB16 creative compliant sound card.

It also has win 95 loaded on another partition around 550 Mb.
I have the BSD bootmanager deployed and it seems to work well.
I want the machine to be a proxy server (I'll use squid I guess) for
my LAN of around 20 windows machines. (thats irrelevant though)
It doesn't need lots of web server space although I'll probably have
Roxen or Apache on it.

I guess I just need it to be a gateway machine so it can dial in to
my existing server (my ISP set up for me but they charge too much & I
feel powerless in my own network!...hence my FreeBSD investigations)
This is supposed to allow the 20 web & mail & irc etc clients to
route out through to my main ISP gateway machine. I have a class C block of
IP addresses.

By the" system file thing" I have read that in order to make major
changes to FreeBSD setup e.g. modems etc... I need the system files
etc...Is it to do with a kernel re-build (whatever a kernel
is...looks a bit like a windows 95 registry?)
So I guess I need to know if I need to setup the full system files in
the install program.
Thanks for your ears again...
I very much appreciate your help.

Keith Spencer