Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:29:51 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        ct@ct.heise.de, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Testimonial

On Sun, Sep 14, 1997 at 11:15:35PM +0200, Marco Molteni wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> Sounds like if the publisher of Byte wanted to make a Real
>> Magazine out if it again, he'd hire a bunch of translators and
>> strike a deal with c't.
>> I'd prefer c't hire the translators themselves and publish under
>> their own name. I don't trust Byte anymore, not for a long time.
>
> Me too. Seriously, from what I've read on this list, c't seems very
> good. I suggest to put up a lobby among we FreeBSDers and let c't
> people know that we are interested in an english version. I think
> many other people (eg some Linux people, some BeOS people) can be
> very interested in it.

I think the real problem is that a lot of c't's editorial content is
related to Germany.  Looking at the September issue (436 pages), I'd
guess that about 20% of the material (such as the ISP review they're
planning to make a regular feature) is of little interest outside
Germany.  The ads are even less interesting, but I suppose they could
find other advertisers for an international edition.

Don't expect everything to be of interest, of course.  A lot of the
editorial content is related to Microsoft.  In fact, they have a
sister publication, iX, which deals with UNIX, but it's not nearly of
the same quality as c't.

Greg