Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:56:49 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory leak in getservbyXXX?

> > > When someone isn't wearing a seatbelt, and they get into an accident,
> > > and they die, average human intelligence goes up.  Only an idiot
> >
> > And the genetic diversity of our species decreases, reducing our
> > species's ability to resist various plagues and what-not.

This is somewhat of a nonsequiter.  More specifically, losing a few
isolated idiots in car accidents is not likely to substantially dent
the human gene pool.  Moreover, given the highly incestuous nature of
car-owning societies most of the individual's genestock is likely to
be redundant, unless they've been out in the sun or near a radiation
source for too long.

OTOH, a few isolated morons Di-ing (Dodi-ing?) due to lack of seatbelt
precautions can provide hours of amusement and humour to the rest of
the population.

(You should try laughing about *that* one in a Commonwealth nation 8)

> Morons are more prolific, mostly because they don't think about the
> consequences of their actions.  They're also much more efficient disease
> vectors, for the same reason.

That puts it far better than I could.  8)

> I guess it's possible that a larger group of more diverse people with
> 60 I.Q.'s could come up with a vaccine for the next epidemic... sort
> of the "million monkeys at typewriters" applied to biochemistry.
>
> But I kind of doubt it, somehow.  8-).

But they're cheaper than lab rats, and generally more durable.

mike