Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:19:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      john hood <cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us>
To:        Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Is there a way to prompt for boot device?

Jaye Mathisen writes:
 > ie, my kernel might have sd8 as the root device, but for other reasons,
 > when I boot, I might want sd0 as the root device.
 >
 > I thought the -r or -a options would do it, but that's not quite what I
 > expected.

at least in 2.2.2, boot -a works only if you have the kernel
configured with "swap generic", which i think is not generally
recommended, though i can't remember why.

  --jh

--
John Hood				cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us

Predictably, they all eventually wandered away, rubbing their bruises
and brushing mud out of their hair.  Some went off to work for the
ESA, launching much smaller rockets into low orbits, while others
elected to sit on their front porches drinking Jim Beam from the
bottle and launching bottle rockets from the empties. [Jordan Hubbard]