Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:23:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Beiter <jwb@xioa.cosmic.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SLIP and MTU

I began tracking a problem with sendmail getting "collect: I/O error blah blah"
The sendmail FAQ cited MTU incompatibilities between myself and my ISP. My
ISP told me my mtu should be set to 1536, which I set on my dip command line.

However, when I do an "ifconfig sl0", it says my mtu is 552 and will not
let me manually set it to 1536 from the command line claiming it is an
illegal argument.

Can anyone enlighten me on what is happening here?

p.s. Don't bother telling me to use PPP. The version of code on the Bay
routers my ISP is using does not like FreeBSD's PPP. Neither Bay nor the
FreeBSD development group are concerned so that is why I'm stuck using slip.

Joseph Beiter                  Hacking's just another word for nothing
jwb@cosmic.org                 left to kludge.