Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 01:53:46 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, gibbs@plutotech.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files src/sys/dev/vx if_vx.c if_vxreg.h src/sys/i386/apm apm.c src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC files.i386 src/sys/i386/eisa 3c5x9.c aha1742.c aic7770.c bt74x.c eisaconf.c eisaconf.h if_fea.c if_vx_eisa.c src/sys/i386/i386 autoconf.c ...

>How much storage do I need in order to realloc the arrays?  Is it bounded?

No, but it is too small to matter.  63 transactions on each of 520 drives
can be supported using just two blocks of size 4K.  Each queue entry takes
only 2 bits.  This is 96 times denser than the current callout table.

>>The main point is that it is easy to build a perfect hash function...

>I thought your point was that every client should make up their own
>solution to this problem instead of making the generic solution more
>efficient. 8-)

Only clients that need a large number of timeouts.  I think there aren't
many, and the ones that do can benefit from a special solutions.

Bruce