Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 22:50:55 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@iet.unipi.it, jmg@FreeBSD.ORG, kato@migmatite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp, iwasaki@pc.jaring.my
Subject:   Re: pcm device has a conflict with FreeBSD(98)? (Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/isa/snd

#define quoting(Luigi Rizzo)
//    * the new sound driver is meant to have a single device, named "pcm"
//      (or whatever) which incorporates the functionalities of all
//      subdevices; so "sb", "wss", "gus", "trix", etc are going to
//      disappear anyways;

Is it really needed to include support for ALL kinds of sound cards
if I need just one ?  This is not scalable.  I would prefer a common
framework for audio devices, and stubs for each card family.  Maybe
two separate frameworks, if synthesizer support is added someday.

					Jonny

PS: What about audiopcm, pcmaudio, or simply audio for the device name ?

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br