Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 17:29:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

> Yes, I tag and then I build from that tag after resyncronizing my
> local repository.
>
> Unfortunately, tags are expensive and you don't just lay them down
> for fun.

In what way are release tags expensive?  I've been thinking of using
tags to make a commit a single operation instead of a bunch of changes
just connected by the commit-log, and for storing meta-information for
merges.  With this and some merge-related tags (for storing
meta-information) syncing RELENG_* and -current the way we want should
become quite a bit easier.  Are the tags so expensive this would be
non-feasible?  I thought they would be a comparatively cheap way of
storing minor amounts of meta-information.

Eivind.