Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 21:27:12 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS permissions after checkout

In article <199709260008.TAA10113@bob.scl.ameslab.gov>,
Chris Csanady  <ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov> wrote:
> I have recently cvsuped a cvs tree, but am experiencing some interesting
> problems.  I am not sure why, but after I cvsup, my entire repository is
> marked as executable.

This happened because the execute permissions in the repository were
all screwed up on the mirror site from which you did your update.  I
just found out about it myself, and it's fixed now.

The new version 15.2 of CVSup (by coincidence released today)
corrects any bad permissions on each update.  Until version 15.2, the
permissions were set correctly on the first creation of a file, but
ignored after that.  This was a design decision which I subsequently
decided was wrong.

Bottom line:  Upgrade your CVSup client, and then do an update from
a server which is also running the latest version.  All of them
should be upgraded soon.  I know for a fact that cvsup.freebsd.org
and cvsup2.freebsd.org are already upgraded.  (Freefall is too.)

John