Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:46:43 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Staying -current with FreeBSD

On Sun, Sep 28, 1997 at 11:20:56PM -0700, Studded wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:21:09 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I've just discovered my mistake: I had the ports tree
>> inside /usr/src, so it's been counted twice.  Take 160 MB off that
>> figure...
>
> 	Ok, so how about a semi-definitive answer to that age-old
> question.  I want to know how much hard disk space I should allocate
> for a fairly complete freebsd system.  I'm talking binaries, CVS source
> tree, and room to make the world.  I'll add swap space and room for my
> files as needed.  Assume a fairly luxurious system with some games,
> ports, etc.  Disk space is fairly cheap right now, but it's always good
> to plan ahead.  Any takers? :)

Well, I've removed my duplicate ports tree and run du through them
again.  Here are the revised values:

                  Table 16-1.  Approximate source tree sizes

                    +-------------------------+-----------+
                    |Component                | Size (MB) |
                    +-------------------------+-----------+
                    |Repository src/sys       |        53 |
                    |Repository src           |       330 |
                    |Repository ports         |        36 |
                    |Source tree /usr/src/sys |        65 |
                    |Source tree /usr/src     |       225 |
                    |Source tree /usr/ports   |       200 |
                    |Object tree src          |       160 |

Compared to the previous, /usr/src has gone down from 372 to 225 (as a
result of the ports being moved out), and ports have gone up from 160
to 200.  In fact, I measured 224 MB for ports, but as I observe, you
could fill up several gigabytes of disk with ports if you wanted to.
200 MB is comfortable if you do a make clean from time to time.

Greg