Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 07:26:48 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Current Users' list)
Subject:   Re: Geometry weirdness with sysinstall/libdisk

As Ollivier Robert wrote:

> Why is tst01 (bundled with libdisk) getting my geometry 1) wrong and
> 2) differently for each of my disks ?

Because it has sometimes too few hints what geometry the BIOS is
using?

> sd0 is an IBM DCAS UW 4.3 GB with 2 DOS slices and my booting FreeBSD
> slice.

If there are existing slices, libdisk's guesswork is IMHO easy.

> tst01 sd2 gives this absolutely false geometry:
>
> --==##==--
> Debug_Disk(sd2)  flags=0  bios_geom=13045/54/6 = 4226580

Certainly no slices present yet.

> The right one is obtained by using sd2c as a device :
>
> --==##==--
> Debug_Disk(sd2c)  flags=0  bios_geom=2063/64/32 = 4225024

They are not `right' in the sense of FreeBSD either, since they are
useless for the BIOS.  2063 > 1024.

13045/54/6 is probably close to the actual drive geometry (except that
for an actual geometry, it's more likely that the 54 is something like
`some value between 35 and 70' or such).  Actual drive geometries are
uninteresting.

> And where is this 13045 coming from ?

>From the drive itself, i'd say.  Well, no, this drive has 8205
cylinders and 6 heads:

uriah # scsi -f /dev/rsd1.ctl -m 4
Number of Cylinders:  8205
Number of Heads:  6

uriah # scsi -f /dev/rsd1.ctl -m 3
Sectors per Track:  171

But again, these values are largely irrelevant.  If you need to make a
disk DOS-compatible, it's never a bad idea to create the DOS partition
first.  If you don't want it DOS-compatible, why caring for a
ficticuous geometry at all?

--
cheers, J"org