Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 01:33:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        garycorc@idt.net
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating BootEasy to recognize FAT32 partitions

 * From: "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>

 * Well, I just recently found out, I can...  ;-)
 * I found a little bug in BootEasy 1.7 - it lets you
 * boot off the first or second disk, supposedly (never
 * actually got it to boot off the second disk, but I
 * think it's due to the Microsoft boot code).
 * But, it wouldn't allow me to even _attempt_ to
 * boot off the second disk unless I had _exactly_
 * two disks.  But I now have three disks on the PC in
 * my office, so it wouldn't work!  So I changed one
 * compare instruction, dug through my old floppies and
 * found "TASM" (it wouldn't assemble with MASM), and
 * got a new boot image that gave me a choice for "Disk 2".

That sounds great.  I went to OS-BS awhile ago when I got my third
disk for exactly this reason....

 * Anyway, I could update it.  BUT - the code is written
 * to _just exactly_ fit [the "blank" area gets overwritten
 * by things like WinNT :( ].  So, I'd have to change one of
 * the existing OS names (and the corresponding type number).
 * So - anybody care if I blow away "Venix" as a boot choice?

Yes.  I kinda like that name when I was looking at fdisk.c, I thought
I'd get it and try it.  (Just kidding.)

 * Then, I see three choices for the new boot name:
 * 	1. "FAT32"
 * 	2. "Win95"
 * 	3. "Win98"

How about just "DOS", they are all dogs anyway.  Oh, you mean it has
to be exactly 5 bytes?  How about "DOS " or "D O S".  Or maybe "M$DOS".

Satoshi