Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 21:10:01 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, freebsd-emulation@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: LINUX emulation and uname(3).

Shouldn't this be in -emulation?

> Add a program named "uname" to /compat/linux/bin or such that puts out
> hardcoded strings of your choice.

For kicks today I decided to see if an IDL 5.0 demo would run under
FreeBSD. It quickly quit, unable to ID the system to one it knew. Was
still running startup shell scripts at the time.

I put ~/bin in the front of $path, and a uname shell script that simply
said "echo Linux". Got IDL to run a little bit further. Said it thought
I had pseudo 8 color when it really wanted TrueColor 16. Then it died.

Am not going to lose any sleep over it. Thought someone might be
interested.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net