Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:47:42 +0200
From:      Michael Elbel <mwe@consol.de>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are Kudos ok on this list?

On Fri, Oct 24, 1997 at 02:04:39PM +0200, Marco Molteni wrote:
> [moved to -chat]

[...]

> Same for me here :-)
>
> The silly part of the deal is that *all* the bosses I know say:  "So
> you say Yahoo runs FreeBSD, but is it free? Well, if it is free, I
> doubt it can be as good as [put the junk you prefer here]".

That's why you don't say that it is free in the meaning of costs
nothing, which it certainly isn't. Just think of the costs to retreive
it and, much more costly, the manpower to support the servers running
it.

FreeBSD is certainly much less expensive than many other alternatives
but it certainly doesn't come for free even you're free to do with it
what you want.

I've had good results with claiming that FreeBSD is *cost efficient*
(low investment costs (CDs or Internet traffic)) and flexible
maintenance costs (you actually get what you pay for, nothing more,
nothing less).

But then we've been through that discussion before. Maybe someone
could write up a couple of arguments with regards to freely available
vs. costs nothing.

Michael