Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:45:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Petrou <dpetrou@kinclaith.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble installing FreeBSD over PPP

I'm having a hard time installing the 10-21 FreeBSD SNAP over ppp.  It
seems to connect to the ftp.freebsd.org fine, but I'm getting
throughput of less than 100 bytes per second (yes, bytes).  My modem
is connected to my gateway at 28.8k.  This is not a network congestion
problem because I get much higher throughput if I attach my modem to
my linux box and try transferring files from the freebsd ftp server.

Any ideas?

David

P.S.: On another note, sometimes if I abort an operation (ctrl-c) when
installing FreeBSD (for instance, if I get tired of watching a 100
byte per second install), the screen goes completely blue and a few
moments later the install dies with a signal 11.