Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 19:28:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
Cc:        chad@dcfinc.com, root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu, dkelly@hiwaay.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-spam sendmail in 2.2.5?

> On Oct 15, 10:07pm, "Chad R. Larson" wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Anti-spam sendmail in 2.2.5?
>
> } Also under consideration is insisting on a HELO during the SMTP
> } handshake and doing a DNS lookup on that system.  If they don't match,
> } you refuse the traffic.
>
> I'm pretty sure this isn't strictly legal according to the RFCs, and it
> will probably block some non-spam mail.  That's not to say it's not
> effective against spam.
>
> 			---  Truck

The biggest problem is the places where the name of the system as
reported by HELO and it's name as reported by DNS can legitimately
differ.  For example, mail that has been through a proxy server, or a
NAT.  That's why it's "under consideration", instead of implemented.  We
might be evaluating the lessor of two evils.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com