Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:02:50 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

> > > I will more likely follow the advice of your forespeaker, namely
> > > excluding the termcap subdir from the worldbuild.
> >
> > This is stupid, and fails to address the problem.
>
> Hmm. As far as I recall, we had some interface change of
> mount(8) in -current about half year ago which made it
> impossible to successfully mount with a new kernel and old userland
> environmemt.

Yup.  And it was announced, and lots of people *obviously* didn't read
the announcement, and were yelled at, and some of them appear to have
learned their lesson.  It's a slow process.

> So even if this is a FAQ the answer depends...

No it _doesn't_.  *This*particular*build*problem* is an FAQ.

> I don't think my suggestion is that stupid.

It's stupid because it a) ignores the published information on the
problem, b) ignores the nature of the problem, and c) introduces other
potential problems.

Much easier just to do the right thing to begin with.

mike