Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:52:26 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more struct ifnet move lossage.

In some mail I received from Mike Smith, sie wrote

> > In some mail I received from Mike Smith, sie wrote

> > > src/usr.sbin/tcpdump, src/contrib/tcpdump.  And look ma, no diffs.
> >
> > No, I mean get tcpdump from ftp.ee.lbl.gov and compile that (3.4a5).
> > 10:1 it doesn't compile (I'll put money on it :-).
>
> You don't appear to understand.  That *is* what's in src/contrib/
> tcpdump.  Try it yourself:

You've missed the point totally of what I originally said and that is
that tcpdump no longer compiles "out of the box".  "out of the box"
means ftp'ing it from LBL, not using what's in src/contrib/tcpdump.
Or do you want to debate about that too ?

What's in src/contrib/tcpdump is the LBL tcpdump PLUS FreeBSD
compatibility hacks.  Do you want to disagree on that ?

> # cd /usr/src/contrib/tcpdump
> # cvs diff -u -r LBL
>
> Note that having the repo lets you see these things.  If you check the
> logs, you will see that it is a virgin LBL tcpdump, at revision 3.3.
>
> So what does this mean?  Probably that LBL write better code than you
> do, I guess.

# cvs diff -u -r LBL | grep if_var.h
cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: tag LBL is not in file FREEBSD-upgrade
cvs diff: tag LBL is not in file nfs.h
+#include <net/if_var.h>
cvs diff: Diffing lbl

There - that's my point.  More crapola because of it being moved.
There is no such include in 3.4a5.

cripes...I thought this was going to be simple and not a debate about
what's in src/contrib/tcpdump vs what is in the tcpdump.tar.gz people
ftp from LBL!

> > > All of Terry's comments on a procedural interface are 100% on the mark.
> > > If you don't like the grief that the structure changes are causing you,
> > > now is the time to participating in producing a *BETTER* interface.
> >
> > Well, I didn't know they even existed until this nasty little thread...
> > maybe I'm just not on the right freebsd email lists where these sort of
> > things are announced and discussed.
>
> Um, as a committer you can't avoid receiving all the commit messages.
> Dump the ones that don't affect you, and just keep an eye on the ones
> that do.  There's been slow change and declaration of intent in there
> for many months now.

Sorry, I don't keep months worth of cvs commit messages in my head or
on disk.  I just scan things for relevance to myself, which is usually
limited to reading the subject line :)

But CVS commit messages do not make a discussion or announcement...(to
me anyway).