Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 19:01:41 -0600
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X server performance and video cards

Am thinking about a new video card. Any pointers of relative
performance of one card versus another? Have heard the Matrox Millenium
family is well liked and very fast, but where/how is this quantified?

http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/index.html says:
> In general, the S3 based boards have been the best supported, followed
> by the ATI based cards, however that is no guarantee that any specific
> board will work.

Is that still the prevailing wisdom? I've seen S3-Virge-based cards dirt
cheap, is there a risk with one of those?
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net