Date:      Sun, 09 Nov 1997 15:22:01 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Beyond slogans: Describe "The Complete FreeBSD"

>On Tue, Nov 04, 1997 at 02:30:50AM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> > Walnut Creek CDROM relies exclusively on FreeBSD for our 768 MB RAM, 139
>> > Gigabytes, 3000 users ftp and www machine at ftp.cdrom.com. You'll get
>> > network support including:
>>
>> Actually, 1GB, 142 GB, 2750 users.

   ...and I just increased the limit to 3000 users yesterday. If I can
optimize a few more things or get a faster CPU, it will eventually be
going to 4000 users.

>Is there an up to date hardware description somewhere ?

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/archive-info/wcarchive.txt

>And for marketing aspects:
>
>Couldn't we put a HTML page on the webserver, that actually
>shows this famous server in detail ?
>
>It would be cool, if we could show some pictures from different
>perspectives:
>
>	one picture showing the whole rack mounted server
>	and some more pictures, which show interesting components
>	of the server. Perhaps a photo of the computer itself with
>	case opened ...

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/archive-info/wcarchive.jpg

   ...although the picture is out of date and the configuration has changed
somewhat.

>The photo that has been presented in the FreeBSD News was a good
>start. But I'd wish we could provide some more views and of a bit
>better quality.

   I think the machine isn't nearly stylish enough. :-) I think I also need
to get a better camera (Polaroid really sucks).

-DG

David Greenman