Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 00:03:19 +0000
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@wasteland.calbbs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNU Assembler - new version?

On Sun, Nov 09, 1997 at 11:00:38AM -0800, Brian W. Buchanan wrote:
> Is it possible we could see a new version of the GNU assembler for -STABLE
> anytime soon?

Not unless someone finds the time to port it. :-(

> The version currently present in the tree seems to date
> back to 1992 or 1993,

Well, it's version 1.93, released in 1992:

jraynard% head -1 /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/as/ChangeLog
Sun Mar  1 17:02:06 1992  K. Richard Pixley  (rich@cygnus.com)

and committed in 1993:

date: 1993/11/03 00:50:46;  author: paul;  state: Exp;  lines: +273 -761
Brought over NetBSD's gas ready for pk's shared libs.

(Perhaps NetBSD have a more recent version we could "borrow"?)

> and lacks some features of more recent versions.

If you're after a different assembler, try nasm (recently added to the
ports).  It has an aout option, which produces output than can be linked
with gcc and run under FreeBSD.  It can also produce output for most
other i386 OS's, which could be useful.

> I've tried grabbing a newer version of gas from the GNU binutils-2.8, but
> the configure script doesn't recognize FreeBSD, and I'm not knowledgeable
> (or patient) enough to hack it into working.

Me neither :-(

--
In theory, theory is better than practice.  In practice, it isn't.
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.   http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/