Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 07:46:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua (Ruslan Shevchenko)
Cc:        dcarmich@mcs.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Could FreeBSD be a viable platform for large SQL/SAP/etc enterprise applications?

> > Could FreeBSD be a viable platform to run business applications (e.g. Oracle
> > or other SQL servers, SAP R/3, BAAN, etc.)?
>
>   Somebody say, that he run Oracle under SCO emulator.

Back in the 1.5.1 days when the IBCS2 was Sean and Soren's baby instead
of an import, with some minor mods to the VM86() call gate (only to
support FPU reporting and so on), I was able to run the SVR3 IBCS2
statically linked Lotus 1-2-3 and Sybase.  The Sybase ran a copy of the
Human Genome database for a genetecist friend who was tracking the
relationship between marker genes and physiological morphology (ie: is
your left earlobe attached or detached?

                |               |
                |               |
                 \               \
                   \              \   /|
                     \_            \_/ |
                       |               |

If the latter, then you have a gene associated with the marker gene
associated with a 30% increased risk of coronary heart disease, etc..
In other words, the gene for the physiological morphology is usually
close enough to the other that you hinherit both or you inherit neither.
Not something you'd want an insurance company noting about you -- seen
"Gattaca" yet?).

Anyway, Sybase ran well enough that FreeBSD was usable in place of
the aging AT&T Starserver it used to run on.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.