Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:31:20 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        doconnor@ist.flinders.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, eivind@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dial on demand with dynamic IP

[cc'd to Eivind 'cos we were talking about this recently]

> Hi,
> I was wondering if it was possible to get dial on demand working with a
> dynamic IP. I realise it would be difficult, and as far as I can tell you'd
> _need_ IP aliasing, but how I envisage it working would be as follows.
>
> Run an app that sends a packet(telnet, mail.. whatever)0
> The PPP process dials up, and then gets the IP it's to use, and then aliases
> the packet according to that IP.
> Everything works like normal :)
>
> I think this would be possible with IJPPP but I'm not sure (you'd have to make
> sure the aliasing happens at the right time - ie after any dialup event).
>
> Is it worth a try? Is anyone alreay doing it? :)

This is only half the problem, but it would probably make things
better for most sites.

The ``other'' problem is when a process bind()s to an IP number that
gets dynamically re-assigned.

Perhaps the *real* answer is to never change the IP number of the
interface, and to change all IP numbers that are the same as the one
netogitated through IPCP to that of the interface.

Hmmm, that would work wouldn't it ?

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;