Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 00:16:25 +0000
From:      James Raynard <james@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tell the world about Year 2000 Compliance

On Wed, Nov 19, 1997 at 03:36:29PM -0500, John Fieber wrote:

> Some time back I grepped the source tree and found a number of
> places where two digit dates were having 1900 blindly added to

In what context?  Something like

year = tm.tm_year + 1900;

is actually the correct way to do it.

> problems and they may not be widespread, but I find it a little
> disturbing how frequently Unixheads brush aside the problem as
> something that only affects other systems.  That sort of
> arrogance is bound to backfire at some point.

Can't argue with that.

> Has anyone actually set their system clock forward and done
> extensive testing?

I tried it a year or so ago - just did a quick check to see if anything
blatently obvious was broken before putting the clock back and rebooting.

Although the problem isn't just a case of handling 1st January 2000
correctly - there may be programs which (wrongly!) assume 2000 is not
a leap year.  I vaguely remember hearing about some system which got
past 1st Jan and 29th Feb 2000, only to miss out a day in the middle
of March (OK, I think that one was a hardware bug).

Not to mention things like using 1999 and 9/9/99 as synonyms for 'never'.
Apparently a well-known UK organisation gave people "life" memberships by
using an expiry date of 1999 (OK, this was probably a COBOL problem, but
it shows you have to look for things which aren't immediately obvious).

--
In theory, theory is better than practice.  In practice, it isn't.
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.   http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/