Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 13:13:50 -0800
From:      Carl Weidling <cpw@rahul.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Questions about booting from floppy to use CD-Rom system

Hi,
	First of all, I want to thank you for providing FreeBSD for free.
	I have been using linux for awhile, but I want to try FreeBSD as
well.  I got a 4 CD distribution of 2.2.5 from Walnut Creek CD-Rom and
installed it on the 2nd partition of my 2nd hard drive.  I have linux on
the 2nd partition of my first hard drive and when I want linux, I boot into
dos (first partition of 1st hard drive) and use loadlin to boot into it.
	I have an atapi CD-Rom drive, and the 2 hard drives are EIDE on
one controller.

FIRST question:
	When I installed FreeBSD, it changed my MBR so that it gives me
choices, if I hit F1 it goes to DOS, if I hit F5 it goes to my 2nd hard
drive and gives me F2 as a choice for FreeBSD.  Those work fine, but there
are choices that specify linux, only they don't work.  It would be nice
if it really could let me choose linux, is that a possibility?

SECOND question:
	The 2nd CD-rom of the set I got from Walnut Creek is supposed to
be a 'live file system' that you can use by specifying some option from
the boot floppy.  Maybe that doesn't work when the CD-Rom is atapi but it
would certainly be nice for doing repairs, like changing fstabs when I
move the jumpers around on the backs of my hard drives).
	Actually, it would be nice to just have a loadlin like utility to
run from DOS to let me boot this or that O/S, does such a thing exist for
FreeBSD?
-TIA
Carl Weidling