Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:26:10 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem mounting /cdrom w/ 2.2.5-R (fwd)

As Burton Sampley wrote:

> Here's my assumption:
>
> I must have attempted to mount the cdrom too soon after loading the cdrom
> in the drive.  It's an old 4X SCSI Toshiba CDROM drive.  Instead of giving
> me a device not ready error to the console (BTW, I just reviewed
> /var/log/messages where it DID give a NOT READY error from /kernel) it
> gave a device not configured error message.

Device not ready errors are silently discarded when opening a device,
and ENXIO (`Device not configured') is returned.  AFAIK, this is the
`politically correct' behaviour.  ENXIO can mean quite a number of
errors (unfortunately).

And yes, Toshiba drives require quite some time until they are ready
after the insertion of a new medium.  As a general rule, wait until
the yellow LED went off, and start the mount command then.  It would
be better if they indicated a `Logical unit is in the process of
becoming ready' instead (which FreeBSD repeatedly retries until
success, or until a different message appears).

--
cheers, J"org