Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:09:06 -0500
From:      kwc@world.std.com (Kenneth W Cochran)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.5 install w/DPT hba

I'm trying to install 2.2.5 from cd onto system(s) with a DPT SCSI
hba.  I boot with the boot floppy from shimon@i-connect.net but the
kernel that goes onto the hd is from the cd.  Simon's driver seems
fine, but I haven't been able to test things (ie. tapes).

I *really* need some kind of installation procedure/outline.

1.  Booting
2.  Kernel installation (so I can reboot).
3.  Kernel re-configuration/rebuilding from source
    (ie. Which source/binary file(s) do I need to get
    so I can do this?  (& where do they need to go?)

For BSDI, there are bootimages, files & instructions available from
DPT.  I've done this & it works quite nicely.  I get excellent support
from DPT & have for years.  Linux, SunSoft & SCO support DPT natively
(for a few years now).  I've used them all.

I'm becoming more than just a little frustrated; this tedium, combined
with my hurriedness/carelessness resulted in a major unrecoverable
data loss (on the Unix partition I was trying to use to make the
installation media...  :-((((

Many thanks,

Ken Cochran