Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 18:19:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   udp question related to icmp...

Hi,

just now i tried to use connect on a SOCK_DGRAM to avoid having to
specify the destination address every time.

Things worked perfectly with multicast, and by pure luck they worked
while i was doing testing on my machine. When i tried with a remote
machine which was not listening, a problem came out: the remote machine
was (presumably) sending back ICMP port unreachable, which caused the
kernel to disable further writes to that socket, so after the first few
packets, nothing went out anymore.

Further investigation in vat sources (net.cc) shows that the problem is
well known (although not mentioned in the manpages). I was almost going
to apply the fix to the kernel mentioned in vat's net.cc when I
realized that after all it is not such a terrible idea to report failures
(due to ICMP port unreachable) up to the application, if nothing else
to avoid flooding the net with undesired data.

So... I started writing this email looking for a fix, but now I guess I
just have to point this behaviour to your attention...

	Cheers
	Luigi