Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 11:01:22 +0100
From:      Peter Holzer <hjp@wsr.ac.at>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New to 2940U/UW bios v1.23

On Fri, Nov 28, 1997 at 02:59:36PM -0700, TST System Administrator wrote:
> I noticed the same thing while installing RedHat 4.2 on a new system.
> The notice was still their even after the installation was complete.
>
> I just assumed it was in regards to the external port and ignored it.

Since none of the people who really know what they are talking about :-)
has responded yet, I'll put in my two cents:

Newer models of the 2940 should automatically terminate the external
connector if there is nothing plugged into it. However, sometimes
it gets confused and terminates the bus although there are external
devices, or fails to terminate it although there are none. So it is
safer to manually enable or disable external termination in the setup
(Ctrl-A) than to rely on autotermination. The AIC7xxx driver warns you
about that. If everything works, you can ignore it, but if you have
strange problems, it gives you a hint what you should check first.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer             | If I were God, or better yet
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR                | Linus, I would ...
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ |        (davidsen@tmr.com)