Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 19:42:51 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Alex.Boisvert" <boia01@gel.usherb.ca>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, kelly@fsl.noaa.gov
Subject:   Re: What can we do about Java?

> I have Sun's JDK 1.1.2 running on my system now.  It's "fairly stable"
> with respect to Keith White's JDK 1.1 port.

Meaning it's more or less stable than the K.White port, or the same?

> I will be getting a Motif 2.0 license in the next few days (it's in the
> mail).  Then, I'll be able to test threads using HotJava Browser, which I
> can't run now because of bugs in Lesstif (presumably).

Cool.  I have SRI pay for a copy of Motif 1.2 so I could develop it.
I'm not sure 2.0 will work. :(

> As soon as I can get HotJava to run, I will release my port.  So you can
> expect a release soon...  (Before Chrismas?)

I'd be very interested in your diffs.

> Right now, it's "kinda hard" to work collectively on Sun's JDK port.  I
> have had trouble with Sun getting JDK 1.1.3 or JDK 1.1.4... So working
> with Keith White on the same JDK version has not been possible yet.  Also,
> JDK versions are moving targets and just keeping up with Sun's releases is
> a challenge by itself.  Hopefully things will start to settle after JDK
> 1.2.X.

Agreed.  JDK 1.1.5 is due out RSN, and JDK 1.1.6 is supposed to be out
late this year/early next year.  (Not sure if I would take those dates
to the bank though.)  I don't expect to see anything w/regard to JDK 1.2
until April/May next year.

> I believe that making a stable JVM (look at FreeBSD for instance :-)  is
> the most important thing now.

Agreed.

Nate