Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 1997 22:49:46 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: metricom & freebsd

Metricom STAR mode eliminates the connection oriented reliable protocol that
metricom uses to make the radio look like a modem.  The disadvantage is that
data is no unreliably transmitted.  The advantages are that if you have a
reasonable TCP stack (or even Linux's) you can raise your effective througput
to nearly the modem's throughput (which is 100kbps).  Unfortunately, since
metricom doesn't offer an IP via STAR mode service, you're stuck building your
own private network.

A bunch of folks at stanford did this a few years back, it was quite
impressive.
try http://www-cs.stanford.edu, search for Mosquitonet or Stuart Cheshire.

FYI, someone pointed me at (wow!) a NetBSD STAR mode driver.  That's close
enough that I may just get it up and running some time I'm flying off on a
plane somewhere.