Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 20:42:21 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        dg@root.com, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [hackers:] Architectural advice needed

On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 02:46:28PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > >That's because no-one ever talks about architecture stuff anymore, and
> > >just 'implements' nowadays.  I think it *could* fulfill its purpose if
> > >it was actually promoted/used.  I would have used it in the past if I
> > >thought it would be monitored, although it wasn't.  Could we consider it
> > >'back in use' for questions such as Julians?
> >
> >    That's silly. Of course we talk about architectural issues. It's just that
> > these days it's easier for me and others to pick up the phone and call the
> > interested parties or send directed email than it is to send to lists full
> > of indifferent people.
> >

> which leaves those of us that ARE interested, but not being called,
> kinda 'out of the loop'. That was one of my questions..
> "How can we get a critical mass together on architectural issues?"

Well, I'm not even remotely involved with FreeBSD architectural issues,
but I have faced a similar challenge with an atmospheric model that was
probably at the same level of complexity (from a high-level piont-of-view)
as you are currently facing. With the model project, we were running
a tight budget (all the money went to supercomputer time.....) and the
Net was the only way to "conference". We tried several methods, but it
was very difficult to have a productive session through email with more
than 2 people. Although mailing lists are somewhat pseudo-real-time, I
found that you need a real "conversation" to hash out complex issues.

In the end, we ended up using IRC. This was good and bad. The only way
that we could keep it organized was by having a team-leader who would
organize an agenda for the IRC meeting before hand, and forward it to
everyone through the mailing list. Initial, brief feedback was requested
about the agenda issues on the mailing list. A time was agreed upon
and a chanel chosen (we just created one each time..). Overall,
the IRC meetings were quite productive. There were minor annoyances
like delays, and occasion channel "spam", but they were acceptable. There
were still problems communicating ideas, mostly because on IRC you
can't wave your arms around or grab people and shake them! :-)
The other major problem, of course, was simply scheduling... our project,
like the FreeBSD project, involved people located in Europe and
North America.

One thing that would have really helped us out that I now see in the
win95/Mac netscape and mickeysoft conferencing tools is the
"blackboard" thing - you can scribble and write on a blackboard
that is shared by all members of the conference. I don't think this is
present in the Unix version of Netscape 4.0 though... Bummer.

One thing is for certain, conferencing tools will almost certainly
represent a pretty big market in the years to come. Especially once we
start getting ADSL and cable modem rollouts so you can have an audio/video
link happening. The FreeBSD project, IMHO, is a shining example of what
can be accomplished through the Net, and the success is remarkable given
the relatively primitive tools used!

If it doesn't already exist, an X conferencing tool certainly seems like
a neat program "waiting to be created" by some spirited programmer
out there! :-)

cya,
-Mark

> > -DG
> >
> > David Greenman
> > Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU