Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:02:12 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

> We know, and have for a long time, about Linux's curses and X based
> kernel configurators.  Who's going to do the work of implementing
> something similar?  *That's* been the big mystery up until now. :)

Hmm, I'm glad we are *not* imitating Linux in this respect.
I feel much more comfortable with the FreeBSD way, i. e. editing
the kernel configuration. It makes you think you know what you're
doing, you can easily change it and you know what you have to save
if you want to build a different kernel.

I feel no need at all for a new kernel configuration UI, which
would make things more complicated and less transparent for
the user.

Wolfgang