Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 13:07:20 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beginning SPARC port

On Wed, Dec 10, 1997 at 12:13:11PM -0800, Brian Handy wrote:
> Chuck writes:
>
> >I would also be a little curious about the availability of sparc hardware
> >for hobbyist folk.  Few of us can afford $10K servers, but what other kind
> >of more modest setups might be available?
>
> Now, I know we have quite a few older Sparc 10's and such running around
> that seem like they're getting along in vintage.  I'm not going to be able
> to liberate any of these, but it suggests to me there probably is a bunch
> of this sort of stuff out there for cheap.  How different are the
> different Sparc's?  If people want to start hunting for one, is this like
> the alpha fiasco -- you need "this" model in order to play?
>
> Also, from the viewpoint of us clueless user-types, can anybody wax on the
> advantages of buying a Sparc platform?  My familiarity is mostly with
> x86's and Alphas...not many suns in-house.  "Why will my next h/w be a
> sun?" :-)

My experance with SPARCs is limited but basicly they come in 3 flavors,
sun4, sun4m, and sun4u. SPARC 1, 1+, 2, IPC, and IPX (i think) were
sun4s. meaning that were uniprocessor machine and were not capable of
supporting multiprocessor. SPARC 5, 10, and 20 are sun4m which means they
do support multiprocessor. The ultra 1, ultra 2, and up are sun4u. Not
really sure what the differance between the sun4m and the sun4u is. I'm
doing this from memory so I sure I munged a few details.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.5
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses