Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:56:01 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

> No they don't.  Shared calendaring is a requirement once you
> introduce e-mail to a large organization.

Most e-mail systems don't provide it.  Organizations got along without
it before, so they don't actually need it.  However, once they have it,
they like it, and they don't want to do without it.

> E-mail destroys the justification for having a company mailroom
> and for interoffice mail.  As a result companies that go to e-mail
> end up removing these things and reassigning people that worked
> in them.  Unfortunately this destroys the same system that was
> used for scheduling use of conference rooms, setting up meetings, etc.

They can just send e-mail instead of paper mail.  That doesn't require
any special software capability beyond basic e-mail.

> No it doesen't.  There are open solutions that handle this well.

Exchange handles it better, and it's one-stop shopping.

> Yes there is.

What's the name of the product?

> You need to learn about other solutions.  There is a big wide world out
> there you haven't seen.

Name the product.

I did this for a living, and I heard and invalidated arguments like
yours all the time.  There are always a few people with a frothing
hatred for Microsoft who feel compelled to do everything some other
way--any other way--as long as it avoids Microsoft, no matter how much
time and complexity and difficulty it might involve.

Fortunately, managers outside IT rarely have this obsession and will
simply buy whatever does the job most effectively, and usually that is
Exchange.  They can be influenced by salespeople to a certain extent,
but when they are given objective data they tend to make objective
decisions.

You haven't given any compelling reason _not_ to use Exchange.  The fact
that it comes from Microsoft doesn't count.  For large organizations
with complex e-mail architectures, Exchange is the clear leader.

--
Anthony