Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 01:55:03 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP and IP forwarding

Howdy-

I'm running 2.2.2-R, and userland ppp.

Here's the question:  are there any obtuse, obscure reasons why my
FreeBSD box would _stop_ forwarding IP packets?

I have 'gateway_enable="YES"' in my rc.conf file, which does enable
IP forwarding in my kernel:

	# sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
	net.inet.ip.forwarding: 1

I do have 'add 0 0 HISADDR' in my ppp.conf file, which does
successfully add a default route:

	# netstat -rn | grep default
	default            205.161.0.7        UGSc        3        1      tun0

But, despite all of this, my other machines can't get out, and I
can't ping in to them.

The silly thing is, I _had_ this working back in November, but
then, a month ago, it rotted, and now, I can't seem to get it to
work.

Obviously, I somehow affected this magically, rather than the
hardware/software rotting, but, for the life of me, I can't guess
how I could have such a thing, nor how I would detect the point of
failure...

So - a reprise of my question: despite my (seemingly) correct setup, what
_else_ could be in the way?

I'm *this* close to building the bpf device, to try to see if
packets are even getting to the ppp process....

--
Brian Reichert			          		  reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303