Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 05:14:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Joliet+RockRidge in one CD ?

> >>   I want to burn a CD-R with long filenames.  Is it possible to make
> >> one that could work both under Win95 and Unix ?
> >
> > Should be possible.
> >
> >>   I plan to use Adaptec EZCDPro2 to make the ISO image, if that matters.
> >
> > I have no idea about this one.  Does it run on FreeBSD? :-)
> >
> > I think there are Joliet patches around for mkisofs, i'm not sure
> > whether they have already been integrated into the latest official
> > version, however.
>
> Can you give us Great Uninformed a pointer to what Joliet is, and how
> it differs from RockRidge?

Joliet is MS's method of encoding Unicode long file names in tandem with
the short names so that you can do long-name-capable CDROM's on Windows
95 and NT.

The Joliet specification is available in the developer area of the MS
FTP site, both as a Word document and as an RTF.

It is basically compatible, with one real relaxation of the ISO9660
specification to allow them to encode the fact of a Unicode namespace
in the last session of a CD (this may be the first session, if there
are no other sessions).

See the spec for more details.

I can probably do the search and post the URL if you can't figure out
how to work MS's search engine, or if you can find it in devel on
their ftp server by just looking for it in the index file at the
top level directory.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---