Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 19:11:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us (Alex Belits)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, rivers@dignus.com, capriotti0@hotmail.com, capriotti@geocities.com, config@FreeBSD.ORG, joe.shevland@horizonti.com
Subject:   Re: WebAdmin

>   I only mean that HTTP protocol provides means for transactions handling
> implementation that don't need an identifier being passed explicitly. It's
> definitely possible to use any other protocol or invent new one that will
> provide the same thing with (your example with LDAP) or without
> identifier, however I think that HTTP provides exactly what is necessary
> without increasing the number of protocols involved.

OK, I think that you may be missing where I'm putting LDAP.  I am
not presenting LDAP as a wire protocol, but as an API.

This would work better with a whiteboard, but...

 ,---. ,---------. ,---------. ,---------. ,---------.
 |R  | | Browser | |  JAVA   | |         | |         |
 |e A| `---------' `---------' |  TEXT   | |   X     | ...
 |m d| ,---------. ,---------. |   UI    | |   UI    |
 |o m| |  HTTPD  | |   JNI   | |         | |         |
 |t i| `---------' `---------' `---------' `---------'
 |e n| ,----------------------------------------------.
 |   | |                LDAP Client API               |
 |   | `----------------------------------------------'
 |   `-----------------------. ,----------------------.
 |        Network connection | |  UNIX Domain socket  |
 `---------------------------' `----------------------'
 ,----------------------------------------------------.
 |                    LDAP Server                     |
 `----------------------------------------------------'
 ,--------------. ,-----------------------------------.
 | LDBM Backend | | Zillions of FreeBSD files Backend |
 `--------------' `-----------------------------------'

>   As for text console and no network connection, HTTP is perfectly usable
> over loopback network interface with text-mode client for user interface,
> so user-interface part (if necessary) can be done through it, too. Again,
> it can be done through locally running application with any kind of user
> interface or none at all with nothing related to HTML, or remotely
> running the same application, or whatever else -- just the possibility of
> adding HTML user interface without introducing new protocols and
> authentication systems to existing ones makes HTTP a bit better choice for
> internal protocol. At least, it will be more manageable, secure, suitable
> for large network or single non-networked host, and consistent by design
> than anything NIS-like (network administration) or SMIT-like (local
> administration).

The issue isn't the wire protocol; the issue is building a common
API to the "Zillions of FreeBSD files".  LDAP is an API for accessing
directory schemas; why reinvent another protocol?

Alternately, you could use ACAP.  Unfortunately, the only implementation
I know of that runs on FreeBSD uses g++ 2.8.0, the Moscow center for
SPARC computing's STL with modifications to work with FreeBSD's Draft
4 Pthreads which haven't been upgraded to standard Pthreads yet, libg++
(the templates for which may constitute sufficient code in header files
to fall under the "code in headers" clause of LGPL, etc..  Not to mention
that Jeremy Allison and I haven't sent our patches back to the CMU
folks yet... ;-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---