Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 23:13:08 -0600
From:      Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
To:        aw@ind.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with AHA2940UW and external RAID

> (scsi0:0:1:0) Using wide (16 bit) transfers.
> (scsi0:0:1:0) Synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset 8.
> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 3, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
>  lun 0 Inquiry 00 00 00 ff 00

OK...a few key notes here.  First, this is happening during the initial
bus scan for devices.  During this scan, all commands are untagged
commands and are carried out synchronously.  Second, it succeeds on the
test unit ready command (the very first command sent) and then fails on
the inquiry command.  It is possible that the device is having problems
with negotiation in some way.  As a test to narrow down the source of the
problem, you can go into the Adaptec BIOS (the CTRL-A message at bootup)
and disable both Wide and Synchronous negotiation on the RAID drive (I
know, it's useless to run such a fast device in that mode, but it helps
to narrow down the problem).  If that doesn't help, then we really have a
problem between this device and the standard inquiry command linux issues
to all devices (most likely anyway).  When you've tried that, if it
helps, then you can start enabling the sync and wide negotiation in the
Adaptec BIOS again and slowly pump up the sync rate until it stops
working again.  It may be that this device simply needs to be one step
below Ultra-Wide speeds or something like that (minor timing variance
between the card and this device causing a problem at full out Ultra-Wide
speeds).  Try these things out and let me know what happens.