Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 1998 10:02:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        James Shaw <jashaw@san.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet card support under FreeBSD

On Sat,  7 February 1998 at  2:18:28 -0800, James Shaw wrote:
> I have a sohoware fast 10/100 auto pci fast ethernet adapter (NE
> 100TX-E).  Can it be used under FreeBSD?

Maybe.

> It came with drivers for winnt and win95, but not FreeBSD.

That's because FreeBSD is a complete operating system, including all
drivers.  That shouldn't worry you.

The real problem here is deciding what the board really is.  The names
and numbers you quote are probably something that a marketroid dreamt
up.  I'd guess that this is a clone board, so what we need to find out
is what the original board was.   Failing that, the chipset
information would be of use.  Take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook10.html#10 and see if anything
looks similar.  You can also look in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT,
which contains the following comments:

# ar: Arnet SYNC/570i hdlc sync 2/4 port V.35/X.21 serial driver (requires sppp)
# cx: Cronyx/Sigma multiport sync/async (with Cisco or PPP framing)
# ed: Western Digital and SMC 80xx; Novell NE1000 and NE2000; 3Com 3C503
# el: 3Com 3C501 (slow!)
# ep: 3Com 3C509 (buggy)
# fe: Fujitsu MB86960A/MB86965A Ethernet
# ie: AT&T StarLAN 10 and EN100; 3Com 3C507; unknown NI5210; Intel EtherExpress
# le: Digital Equipment EtherWorks 2 and EtherWorks 3 (DEPCA, DE100,
#     DE101, DE200, DE201, DE202, DE203, DE204, DE205, DE422)
# lnc: Lance/PCnet cards (Isolan, Novell NE2100, NE32-VL)
# sr: RISCom/N2 hdlc sync 1/2 port V.35/X.21 serial driver (requires sppp)
# wl: Lucent Wavelan (ISA card only).
# ze: IBM/National Semiconductor PCMCIA ethernet controller.
# zp: 3Com PCMCIA Etherlink III (It does not require shared memory for
#     send/receive operation, but it needs 'iomem' to read/write the
#     attribute memory)

If you have FreeBSD up and running, you could put the board in the
machine and see if the system recognizes it.  If you do this, make
sure the board is set to its default values.

If you still can't make anything out of it, tell us what's written on
the larger chips.

Greg