Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:08:08 -0500
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mapping phyical memory in to the PCI address range...

This question may be somewhat ill formed. Hopefully, I'll make myself clear.

I'm looking at taking the Cyclades driver, and moving the I/O buffers that are
normally in the on-board RAM of the card, and possibly moving them to be
within the physical RAM of the PC.

Cyclades supports this to some levels (although they never tried it).
Apparently, the big requirement is the ability to lock down the physical
memory for the buffers, and then manipulate this memory in such a way as
it can be seen by devices on the PCI bus, su that the card's processor can
DMA to it.

The questions I have are:

1 - Does FreeBSD support the ability to map system memory so its available
to the PCI bus. Also, what is the proper procedure for determining the
physical address of this memory, and locking it in such a way as to always
be available to the card.

2 - Would it really be worthwhile pursuing this endeavor? After all, a 1-2%
gain on moving a single character really isn't a big win. However 25+%
very well might be.

	-Brian

with "unsubscribe hackers" in the body of the message